Friday, February 26, 2010

Did You Enjoy The Peanuts?

A few years ago, one on my friends was seated on first class flight next to a well known hockey executive. This executive, in the midst of waking up, began grabbing peanuts that were served to my friend. My buddy says "Did you enjoy the peanuts?" After a few minutes of conversation my friend finds out he is speaking with the GM for the Boston Bruins, Harry Sinden.

My friend, admittedly a "non-hockey person", asks Harry "Who was the greatest player ever?" Harry responds, "For those of us who know hockey there are really four great players: 1) Bobby Orr, 2) Gordie Howe, 3) Mario Lemeuix and 4) Wayne Gretzky."

Actually, I would agree with this list.

On behalf of us benighted hockey fans and because "you know hockey" Harry, I have a couple more questions for you:

- How come you drafted Dave Parro before Rod Langway in the 1977 amateur draft? Langway was three-sport all state player (hockey, football, baseball) who grew up less than 20 miles from North Station (Randolph, MA) and had a terrific career at the University of New Hampshire.

- How could you trade Joe Thornton?

- How come prospective players don't see the Boston Bruins as a great franchise to play for?

No comments:

Post a Comment