Sunday, September 16, 2012

Dug In

I believe comments from these two individuals sum up where we are at with current collective bargaining negotiations.

Brooks Laich, Washington Capitals as quoted in Washington Post on September 15, 2012
"......every contract ends with a handshake. Every single contract, where I come from, you honor your handshakes and you have your word. If you don’t have that you have nothing. If I make a bad deal, sign a bad contract that’s my fault. And I accept that, I’m a man and I work through that. That’s something I deal with. I don’t go crying foul and looking for somebody to fix my mistakes. I accept that as a man, that I made a bad decision. I think that hockey players are pretty honest people and they don’t like it when it’s coming back the other way.”

Gary Bettman, Commissioner, National Hockey League as quoted in SI on September 13, 2012
When asked how the owners could justify signing players to contracts and then asking them to take less in real dollars (i.e. losing money to escrow), Bettman reasoned that there was no “perpetual entitlement” to the 57 percent share of overall revenues the players currently receive.

Players seem dug in as does Bettman.  I'm thinking some of these owners should consider selling their team if it's not generating enough money for them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment